Iowa State Lands WR Greg Gaines

 

The Cyclones landed one of their top recruits of all-time when Class of 2022 4-star WR Greg Gaines committed to the team. He held 25 total offers and chose Iowa State over Indiana, Kansas State, Virginia Tech, Maryland, and more. Greg plays at Tampa Bay Tech in Tampa, FL.

Greg knew he was ready to commit after he dropped his Top 4, saying “ It finally hit that I was ready to commit once I was able to actually get out to my top 4 schools and analyze each and everyone. I would say my family and I took about 2 weeks to analyze and once we felt like we were completely ready made the call to coach Campbell and told him I was 110% ready to be a cyclone”. 

Something that stood out to him about Iowa State was the culture and the people the program has. He said “ Mainly the culture of Iowa state & the people in the program. We had a player panel with 5 of Iowa states top players, no coaches only parents/recruits and questions. Which all were answered with honest feelings”. He held that as a standard while he was visiting other schools.

Describing his relationship with the staff, Greg said “ Before the commitment my connection with Iowa state coaches were extremely good and only grew even more since my commitment. They make Iowa state feel like home away from home”. Coach Scheelhaase was the guy who would study his film and teach Greg more about the game, as well as help him understand where his football IQ was at. He would consistently call Greg along with Coach Campbell and others to talk about anything and not just football.

On the visit, Greg was very impressed and had this to say, “ Overall it was a great visit. I had a coach tour me around the school and facility. And had a player tour me around Ames area. During my time at Iowa state a lot of things were being put in place and prepared, seeing how things are going to be finished by time I make it up there made me love the whole facility. Main thing I liked about the school was there business program”. He took a liking to the school and the great business program they have to offer at Iowa State.

He is a true student of the game and a versatile player, always studying film, Greg is a receiver who can bring the full package. He tries to model his game off of Davante Adams, Michael Thomas, & DeAndre Hopkins. The team plans to use him the way they use Xavier Hutchinson, since he is familiar with the offense Greg plans on coming in and knowing things from the start. Greg feels the Big 12 competition is great and it could take him to the next level with the Iowa State staff helping him get better. 

- Tyler Bannerman (@realtbannerman)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 QB Fernando Mendoza Discusses Commitment

2022 OT Jake Maikkula Discusses Top Schools

3-star OT Leyton Nelson Talks Top 5